The Tenant Union provides FREE services to University of Illinois students including:
- Help Finding Apartments and Houses
- Landlord Complaint Records
- Lease Reviews (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY)
- Tenant-Landlord Conflict Help
- Educational Programming (including workshops & presentations)
The Tenant Union does not provide legal services of any kind. All information provided in this publication is intended to help the average person prevent problems and deal with common concerns of renting. When legal help is needed, always consult with an attorney at law.
Day of move-in:
- Complete a MOVE-IN CONDITION REPORT of everything that is not 100% perfect. Keep your own copy of the condition report and either have your signature notarized or the landlord sign and date your copy. Photograph any damage.
A condition report helps to prevent charges for items that are damaged when you take possession of the apartment. If you did not receive one print ours!
- Security Check:
- Are the doors made of solid wood or metal?
- Are all exterior doors secured with a single-cylinder deadbolt lock?
- Can all deadbolt locks be activated from the outside with a key and from the inside with a turn piece?
- Do all exterior swinging doors to your apartment have viewfinders (peepholes)?
- Do all patio-type or sliding doors have deadbolt locks?
- Are windows equipped with properly working locking devices?
- Are the entrance, hallways, stairwells and parking lot well-lit?
- Check all drains (sinks and tub) to make sure they are not clogged. If any drains are draining slowly, report the problem to the landlord in writing.
NOTE: Often Drano or Liquid Plumber solves the problem.
TIPS: Buy a plastic drain cap for the shower/tub to catch hair before it goes down the drain. Pour grease from cooking pans into a container rather than washing it down the sink.
- Check your smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm by pushing the test button. You are responsible for replacing the batteries so be sure to check the alarms periodically throughout the term of your lease.